daw.com - January 14

Welcome back everyone, welcome to the new year, welcome to the second semester and welcome to our new student Charles.  Whew - that is a lot to welcome people to.

We have started off this semester with the completion of the presentations from our Historical Inquiry unit.  I was pleased with what I saw and I am hoping that students learned what a presentation is and what it is not.  I did not let students put words on their visual presentation as this is just to be used to support what information they are trying to present.  It was a new concept to many but I think they saw the reasons for it and there were some great presentations.

We also started our wellness unit on Friday with a look at Fitness.  It is one of the four areas we cover in this unit, the others being nutrition, disease and as a part of this unit, human growth and development - puberty.  Students will be exploring all sorts of thing about their wellness over the next 6-7 weeks and complete this with both a fitness evaluation and nutrition study.  I have asked students to start to take pictures of nutrition labels on foods so that we can study them as part of this unit.  The can email them to me or bring to school were we can transfer them.

Our next writing unit is on Fantasy writing - Learning from the Elves is the title.  We will use the Hero's Journey as the basis for this kind of writing.  I also had students complete a third on-demand piece of writing last week that I will use to continue to see where their weaknesses are.  This unit should see students complete two-three pieces of writing.

I have to leave my class for three days on Jan 22-24th as I have a family event to attend in Los Angeles.  I will be leaving the substitute teacher a full set of plans and my expectation is that students continue to learn the things we are doing in class.

Homework will look different for this week.  I have noticed that students need some further work on word problems in our fractions math unit so instead of problem solving this week, there is four nights of review for word problems.  They are all related to our math unit on fraction operations. Remember, as all homework is in my class, any help needed should be given if possible.  This is the best learning for the student.

Report cards come out this week for the first semester.  If you are worried in any way, or just want to meet with me over them, please let me know so I can set up a time for us to meet.  Last week I sent home the last math assessment rubric, this week you will get the latest writing one as well as the Historical Unit assessment rubric.


Have a great week ahead.