daw.com - December 1

WOW!!!! It is already a new month and also this means only two weeks until winter break.  Good news is that we are right on track with all the learning we are to do.

Now that we have completed our research for the historical report, it is time to start writing it.  There is a bit of time crunch on this as I do want it published prior to the winter break.  This means there are 9 days to draft, revise and publish.  I feel this is doable within the time frame.  There are some neat projects in this unit and I am looking forward to seeing what kind of report the students end up with.  In the new year, students will take this report and complete a presentation to deliver to the class.

We are also continuing on with our book clubs where one group is reading Sign of the Beaver and another group is reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.  I have been working with both groups to help develop a community of readers that shares and discusses the readings from the book they have completed.  This is a long process of learning but one that I am seeing some growth in.   We should complete both these books prior to the winter break.


Our unit in math only has one objective - addition and subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers.  So far we have looked at equivalent fractions, addition of fractions, subtraction of fractions and subtraction of mixed numbers.  While the arithmetic is fairly straight forward, understanding why it works is a harder process.  We are using the rectangular model to prove that these operations work.

As a grade level teaching team we recently had a discussion about grade 5 behavior out of the classroom.  There are some bad words being used in student to student interactions as well as in appropriate content and gestures being used  and this must stop.  No one is exempt.   I would ask that you also explain this kind of activity is both disrespectful to others and inappropriate.  Mr. Byrne will be talking with the students at a Monday assembly.  I can say I have never heard it in class but this does not mean it is not happening.  If it were to happen in class, you would be the first to know as I will not tolerate it.

As we prepare for the winter break I know there may be some of you that need to leave early.  If this is so, please let me know so can make the proper plans for the activities and class learning.  I thank-you in advance for this.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.  I am more than willing to meet with you.