daw.com - December 8


This coming week is filled with lots and lots of things going on in 5D but first is some organizational things.

For the class luncheon on Dec 20 I need several families to bake some cookies for desert.  I will supply the pizza, drinks and snacks.  If I could have three families each supply 2 dozen cookies that would be great.  Please let me know.

I want to let you know how proud I was of your students this week as we did the sewing of baby cloths for orphans.  We got this all done on Tuesday and I have to say what an excellent job they all did.  Once again, we talked about how important it is to help each other out in times of need and this was an excellent way for the the class to be involved in a service project.  I would like to announce to all of you that the entire class was also involved - everyone donated the money needed for this project.  It made my heart feel really good to see these youth doing something for someone they will never even know.  My hearty congrats to 5D.

This week the class will host Mrs. Baird who is the school PYP coordinator.  She will be taking the students through a further process that will prepare them eventually for exhibition. We started this process last month with Inspired Citizens and these are the next steps. In case some of you have not heard, Mr. Webb, the former Asst. Principal will return for the remainder of the year as the PYP coordinator.

The lower school concert is on Wednesday so we have been invited to attend.  Since they will attend ours and because several of my students have siblings in these grades, it is a good idea to support them.

For our UOI this week there are 4 stations that each class will go through.  Each of the teachers has taken one of our Lines of Inquiry and drawn up an exercise for the classes.  Mine is on wants and needs and they will be doing a simulation about producing shoes.  I have used this before with great success.  Should be interesting.

Our reading and writing unit on poetry is moving along nicely with a look a various forms of poetry and some famous poets.  Were are reading these out loud as that is the way poetry is meant to be studied.

Our next math unit is area of triangles and it will start on Wednesday.  Not a hard unit, but an important one for both geometry and algebra in the future.  We will complete Algebra on Tuesday with the final assessment.

The students asked about Secret Santa this past week and I made the decision to not have it.  In truth, I have had a lot of problems with this in the past so when we talked about it in class meeting, they should now understand why I have said no.  If they wish to do a gift exchange with their best friends that us fine, but nothing will be set up here in the classroom.  

The holidays are not far off and if anyone is planning on leaving early, please let me know so I can plan properly.  Thanks in advance for this.

That is all for this week.  If you have questions or concerns please let me know and I will set up a time for us to meet.