daw.com - December 13

I need to start out with a request from everyone in the class - parents and students.  I know this is a little presumptuous but I want to avoid any unpleasantness or embarrassment.  Korea has very strict anti-graft laws that affect public employees.  That is me.  With this in mind I must ask that you not have a gift for me this Christmas.  While I am thankful for all the students I have in my room and I love them all a great deal, there is no need for them to show this.  Having them in my room each day is a gift in itself and the growth I am seeing already this year is more than reward enough.  I hope you understand and please know I do not do this to be disrespectful - I really do love my class a great deal and that is fine for me.

There is a lot happening this coming week.  The biggest event is both the lead-up-to and final band/choir concert for grade 4 and 5.  This is on Thursday at 10:30 am in the Lyso Center.  Mon-Wed all students have a band rehearsal so they need their instrument on Monday and it will remain at school for the entire week going home on Thursday after the concert.

All students need to have their formal attire for the concert on Thursday.  As I understand it, this is a white shirt, black pants/skirt & socks and dress shoes.  I believe that this has been announced in several of the last band notes that Mrs. Holbrook sent home.  If you are unsure please make sure you contact her in advance.

Just before the concert will be the first parent meeting for Grade 5 Exhibition.  It is in the ES Veranda starting at 9:00.  We will make sure that everyone is out in time to get to the Lyso for the concert.

The grade 5 classes will be co-sponsoring the ES Market Bazaar on Tuesday and Wednesday.  We have things to sell and also games to play.  Should be a neat opportunity.

There is the all school Christmas concert on Wednesday at 5:00 pm in the Lyso Center.  There is a group of musicians from 5D playing in this concert.

The grade 2/3 concert is on Wednesday starting at 9:20am.  

Friday is our class Christmas Lunch.  I have a mom who will order and deliver the pizza, and a couple of moms making treats for the kids.  I will supply drinks, fruit and cookies.  I also have a lot of plates, napkins and cups - I think we are all set to go.  I do fully believe that my class has earned this.  It will be a great social time for the students.  Later in the afternoon I also have a surprise for them.

Even with all of this, we will still have our regular math, writing and reading classes.  The current math unit on area of triangles will be completed this week since it is only two lessons long.  I forgot to send the parent letter last week so it is attached to this letter.

I have also uploaded a holiday booklet to our Google Classroom.  If students are bored or need some time fills, this book is filled with a lot of activities that are fun and also help learning along.  Enjoy as needed.

I will not send out another class letter until the weekend we return to school.  I want to take this time to wish everyone a Merry Christmas a prosperous and healthy new year.  For those of you traveling, please stay safe and enjoy your time away.  For those remaining, enjoy the respite from school and take the time to be with friends and family.