daw.com - April 26


We have had a busy but great week.  It is hard to believe that this is the last Friday message for April.  With that in mind, please remember that next Wednesday, May 1 is a holiday and there is no school.  There will be no homework that night either.

Grade 6 step-up day was a great success.  While I have not talked with all my students yet, the few I did see said they really enjoyed it.  I think it is a great way to introduce middle school to students.

I was very proud of my class this week for donating books to the book fair.  They showed that helping others is important and the right thing to do.  I hope they enjoy the books they traded for theirs.

Remember that CASTA (Celebrate and Share the Arts) is next Tuesday.  Our class’ performance is 2:45-3:15 in the afternoon and is in the main theatre.  Hope to see some of you there.  Students need to wear their CASTA shirts on this day.

Next week is also spirit week.  Monday is House Color Day,  Thursday is pairs, groups and twins day and Friday is wacky ISB day (think blue and white).  I encourage as many as want to participate since this is the time they get t
o strut their stuff in school.

Our math unit on volume will come to an end next week with the final assessment on Tuesday.  While not a difficult unit, it is very important as it forms the basis for measurement in science and math classes of the future.  We also did a small section on the traits of quadrilaterals.  Our next unit is on the coordinate plane and is a fun unit to end the school year with.

Monday will see the start of our book clubs in reading.  For the first couple of clubs I will be choosing the books and groups students will work in.  Once I see that they have learned the process for books clubs and are a willing participant, then they will be choosing the books and the groups to work in.  These will be in place until the end of the year.

Our latest writing is the genre fantasy.  We have studied The Hero’s Journey and this is what they are using to plan and execute their stories.  They also need to have detailed descriptions of the settings and characters in their stories and show how they change over time and throughout the story.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me and I will gladly set a time up to meet with you.