daw.com - May 11th


I am pleased with what I saw as students took the MAP test this week.  A quick examination of the teacher results does not show anything I do not already know and for the most part shows positive growth.  Remember that the test is taken toward the end of the year so the evaluative specs of it are higher than they were in the fall so all growth is a good thing.  I think that results should be out to parents later this month.

One thing I did notice and also talked with the class about is stamina.  At this age and time of the year I would expect students to be able to be stay on talk, including the map test, for at least 25 minutes.  This was not the case for the majority of the class.  A lot of my students found things to distract them both external (water bottles, pencils erasers etc) but also electronic (swishing the mouse pointer, rapidly moving the selection box over and over).  We talked as a class about this and agreed that it is something to continue to work on.

Our second and third essay's are quickly becoming a reality.  One is a homework assignment the final drafts will be due in next Thursday morning.  Everyone handed in a first draft today and I will read these over the weekend and comment on their work to help make it better and also to assist with the revision process.  The classroom essay is moving along quickly and I expect it to be published by next Friday.

Our math unit has looked at parallel and perpendicular lines to the x-axis and y-axis of the coordinate plane.  This will now move to the development of equations that represent what we have on the plane.

As we head to the end of the year, let me know if you would like a final teacher conference.  I would also like to be informed if you plan on leaving early so I can make the necessary plans to complete the year for all my students.  In the mean time, have a great weekend.