daw.com - May 19

We are working on finalizing many projects as well as completing end of year assessments.  So far MAP is completed and the writing prompt is finished.  Next week we will get DRA done as well as the Word Work and EOY Math Assessment.  I have been asked when MAP scores will be out and at the moment we have not finished the testing in the school so I would imagine a few more weeks before release of scores.
Here are next week's current events;
Tuesday - Siwoo
Wednesday - Brandon
Thursday - Oscar
Friday - Tiffy
The students reminded me that these are the last ones of the year for these students since there is not 20 school days left.  I will send home the current event booklets toward the end of the year.
Our inquiry unit on Economics and Trade has spend some time looking at what is globalization and how it has changed the world.  This will eventually lead us to a debate on the question Has Globalization Been a Positive Influence?  In order to support this, students have been working on a persuasive essay.  The final draft of this is due in next Wednesday and then there is one more of their choice to close out the year.  These persuasive essays will work in tandem with preparation of the debate.
Our math unit on the coordinate plane has taken us into looking at parallel, perpendicular and intersecting lines from formulas and rules.  Students have had a lot of fun with this unit and the learning is interesting since it is something they have not had in any previous grade level.  We should finish the unit on time before the end of the year.
As the year comes to an end please let me know if you wish to meet with me to wrap things up.  I will send you some times that we can meet.  I would also like to ask you to let me know of any early leaving plans just so I can plan accordingly.  There are a lot of special events for grade 5 students as we prepare them for the move to middle school and there are also things they get as they leave the ES.  Any info you have please share with me so we can have a smooth close to the year.
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Harold Daw